2008-08-14

Nina - I Don't Want to Miss a Thing  

0 comments

Four years ago when Soul Siren Nina recorded the song "I Don’t Want To Be Your Friend" for a compilation called "Diane Warren Presents: Love Songs," she didn’t realize at that time she’d be later doing a full-length album of cover songs from the rich catalogue of the so-called "Queen of the Ballad."

Fast forward and Nina is bringing to her fans her renditions of very familiar love songs written by the world-class songwriter ‘who has never been in love and does not enjoy dating.’

Last Tuesday, the sultry singer launched the tribute-album "Nina Sings The Hits of Diane Warren," treating the press with a minus one performance of songs off the album track list.

"Forte ko rin ang love songs kahit papaano kaya nakaka-relate ako sa mga kanta ni Diane Warren," she replied when asked on how important is the album’s theme to her artistry.

She elaborated, "Medyo naging okay ang pag-record ko kasi what we did was actually rearrange the songs to fit my type of singing, like kunwari rock song, ginawa naming ballad."

A couple of songs from the selections were originally done by rock bands, including the carrier single "I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing" which Steven Tyler and the rest of Aerosmith popularized as themse song for the movie "Armageddon. "

This latest album from Nina is strictly a compilation of famous numbers that ring a bell by their titles alone. It includes "I Turn To You" (Christina Aguilera), "There You’ll Be" (Faith Hill), "Love Will Lead You Back (Taylor Dane), How Do I Live (LeAnn Rimes), "When I See You Smile" (Bad English), "Un-Break My Heart (Toni Braxton) and "Because You Loved Me (Celine Dion).

As expected, the choice cuts were re-delivered within Nina’s vocal range and style, thus, creating a coherent laid-back pop engagement blessed with good melodies only a gifted songwriter like Warren could provide.

When asked if doing covers is more fulfilling for her, considering that she was able to score a hit in "Someday" (penned by ex-flame Nyoy Volante), she reasoned, "Pareho lang po kasi it’s fulfilling to sing any song, whether a cover song or an original. The fact that I am singing is fulfilling."

Via phonepatch Nina was able to talk to the 51-year old recipient of her tribute set who, as a way of acknowledging the effort, posted a message on the sleeve. It says: "A few years ago Nina cut ‘I Don’t Want To Be Your Friend’, one of my favorite songs. I am very happy that she is now coming out with an entire album filled with the songs that I’m proud of. Hopefully this is just the beginning of a lot of hits together."

The celebrated song is the last cut in the 15-song offering, preceeded by ""I Could Not Ask For More" which Nina singled out as her most favorite among Warren’s creations.

Another Warren revival, "I Love You Goodbye" was released as a single from the "Nina Live!" album.

Completing the track roster are "Ill Never Get Over You (Getting Over Me)," Blue Eyes Blue," How Can We Be Lovers," and "Saving Forever For You."

Some other Warren hits that are not part of the album are "Lonely Is The Night" (Air Supply), "Blame It On The Rain" (Milli Vanilli), "I Don’t Wanna Live Without Your Love (Chicago), movie soundtracks "If You Asked Me To" and "Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now" and that piece famously revived by local duo MYMP called "Tell Me Where It Hurts."


Nina - I Don't Want to Miss a Thing lyrics

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing
Watch you smile while you are sleeping
While you're far away and dreaming
I could spend my life in this sweet surrender
I could stay lost in this moment forever
Where every moment spent with you is a moment I treasure

Don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

Lying close to you feeling your heart beating
And I'm wondering what you're dreaming
Wondering if it's me you're seeing
Then I kiss your eyes
And thank God we're together
I just want to stay with you in this moment forever
Forever and ever

I don't wannna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

I don't wanna miss one smile
I don't wanna miss one kiss
I just wanna be with you
Right here with you, just like this
I just want to hold you close
Feel your heart so close to mine
And just stay here in this moment
For all the rest of time Yeah yeah yeah

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

I Don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
the sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

Don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
And I don't wanna miss a thing



What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories